The Center for Advance Practice Dermatology has been established to provide the unmet educational and professional practice development for nurse practitioners specializing in dermatology. The Dermatology Certified Nurse Practitioner Review Course is in direct response to the overwhelming demand by NPs for a comprehensive review course in preparation for the exam. We are proud and excited to provide this unique educational content and format that will advance and elevate the quality of dermatological care through certification preparation.
Committed to excellence in dermatological care through education and certification preparation of advanced practice clinicians.
Founders of CAPD
Dr. Margaret Bobonich, Assistant Professor at Case Western Reserve School of Medicine and University’s Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, is a Dermatology Certified Nurse Practitioner with an active clinical dermatology practice at University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Centers (UHCMC) in Cleveland, Ohio. She established and was Director of the innovative 2-year interdisciplinary post-Master’s Dermatology NP Training program at UHCMC, which provides a national model of interprofessional practice and improved access to high quality dermatologic care. Dr. Bobonich offers a unique and premier expertise in curriculum development, as she developed a post-Master’s Nursing Certificate Program at Florida Atlantic University for NPs who wish to specialize in dermatology. She was co-chair of the national task force and validation panel establishing the professional Competencies for Nurse Practitioners in Dermatology (2018). Her achievements include; principal investigator of seminal research for a Dermatology NP core curriculum and co-editor of the first dermatology textbook for advanced practice clinicians. She served as a member of the national work group for the revision of the Scope and Standards of Care for Dermatology Nursing. She is a Fellow in the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) and launched the first Dermatology Specialty Group within the AANP. She is a well-known national educator on complex dermatology for NPs, PAs, and physicians. With more than 35 years of nursing experience, Dr. Bobonich is committed to her clinical dermatology practice, focusing on immune mediated skin conditions including psoriasis, atopic dermatitis, and blistering diseases.
Publications and Honors include:
- Bobonich, M.A. & Nolen, M. (2018). Competencies for Dermatology Nurse Practitioners. JAANP. 30(11): 606-613.
- Nolen, M.N., Bobonich, M.A., Hunaker, J.S. and DiRuggerio, D (2021) Dermatology for Advanced Practice Clinicians, 2nd Ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkin.
- Bobonich, M.A. & Nolen, M.E. (2015). Dermatology for Advanced Practice Clinicians. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Bobonich, M. A., Cooper, K. (2012). A Core Curriculum for Dermatology Nurse Practitioners: Using Delphi Technique. JDNA 4(2):108-120.
- American Journal of Nursing, 2015 Book of the Year Award for APN category, Dermatology for Advance Practice Clinicians (2016)
- UHCMC Nominee for the Ohio Health Care Worker of the Year 2011
- Dermatology Nurses’ Association Community Service Award (2011).
- Dean’s Legacy Award- DNP Student, FPB School of Nursing. (2010).
Susan Mayne is a board certified Family Nurse Practitioner and dermatology NP with an active clinical dermatology practice at UHCMC in Cleveland, Ohio. Susan is one of very few dermatology NPs in the U.S. to complete the 2-year interdisciplinary post-Master’s Dermatology NP Residency at UHCMC. Her clinical focus is on complex skin conditions in both pediatric and adult patients. Susan is passionate about establishing and standardizing a core curriculum for dermatology NPs. The focus of her Doctorate of Nursing Practice research is on the current post-master’s training for the development of professional competencies. Susan’s goal is to work with academic leaders and dermatology experts to develop, implement, and evaluate post-Master’s curriculum for NPs specializing in dermatology and preparing for certification.